Monday, May 7, 2007

Memories...

You know it is funny how memories work. I can't really tell you what my earliest memory is, and there are many memories that I am uncertain about... memories where I don't know if they are simply my imagination from a picture or a story. There are, however, many memories so clear and so obscure that I know they could not have come from any outside influence.... they are simply personal flashes of recollection that play for a second in my mind and then disappear as if the film ran out.

I was really young when Granddad and Nannie died, but I have some really distinct memories of them. These flashes are so real and tied to a split second of memory in my mind. Memories that a two year old would have... Memories like the texture of Nannie's hair...... or the smell of their house (To this day the smell of natural gas takes me back to their little house)... their front yard and the chairs on the front porch... flaking red paint on the front porch... Memories of sitting and playing on the massive air grate on the floor and how it hurt my hands and left a checkered pattern on them. I have distinct memories of Granddad holding me up to pick grapes and of looking down at Nannie's hands around me as she held me... and I have a distinct memory of eating a type of 'cheese-it' pack of crackers in the hospital. I wish that I had more.... but I am grateful for what I remember.... and I'm grateful that the memories are real and are mine.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

WII, thanks for sharing this picture and your memories with us. -MOM K

Anonymous said...

one of my memories.... Sitting with grandad as he read the 'comics'. He would just laugh... laugh ... laugh... I have no idea what was funny.
i remember playing on the trailor that they had in the back yard. and of course..... "meat in a woll"... lots of Christmas memories.
Jodie

Anonymous said...

Anyone else have memories of Nannie and Grandad to share.......

mae said...

I teared up when I saw this pic of Grandad! I have many memories of him taking me places in that old blue "ord"!! I also fondly remember him calling me Suzie Q and also of him singing to me. I know Mom remembers the song about the "my little black doggie that has gone away to the dutchman's war". I can almost hear him whistle!

Anonymous said...

YES!!!! I remember the whistling too!!!! Guess that's where Wallace gets it from!
HEHEHE
signed,
To chicken to sign my name

Vickie said...

I have lots of nannie and granddad memories. sherry and i used to eat radishes out of his garden, and i remember the huge pheasant that was in the back yard for a couple of days. Also I remember nannie smelling of our necks to see if we were telling the truth!!! ANd i remember granddad would go sit at the kitchen table at dinner time and wait on his food and nannie shoving the plate towards him!! heehee

Wallace said...

cool.... i would like to hear more...

Anonymous said...

meat in a woll?

Wallace said...

Mom.... can you write something... your best memory of them? If you do - email it to me and I can post it on the main page for you.

Anonymous said...

Here's a memory from Jenny..... Grandaddy walking with us to the neighborhood store to get 'reeses cups'

mae said...

I remember walking up to the store also Jenny, but it wasn't for reeses, it was for Benson & Hedges for Nannie!!! HA! Actually, a fond memory of Nannie was that she said I looked so much like the Mason's she wished Dad had named ME Jenny Lynn, Oh, how many I wished that as well! Here's one, Nannie looking at Grandaddy and saying "John D. Anthony says you can always be replaced"! God love her!

Wallace said...

I don't get the "John D. Anthony says you can always be replaced"... and what does a mason look like? And is Jenny Lynn a family name? I came late to this party... someone needs to fill me in!

Wallace said...

I don't get the "meat in a woll?" comment also.... ;)

mae said...

W - Jenny Lynn is your great-grandmothers name - Nannies mother. Her name was Jenny Lynn Mason - Jenny was named for both her and Vickie! Isn't she special.
Nannie used to say this saying all the time..."John D. ANthony says you can always be replaced"! It's kind of a family joke, none of us ever knew who John D. Anothony was!"Meat in a woll", was something Jodie use to always say! (meat in a roll!), Nannie used to fix deli meat sandwhiches in dinner rolls, and Jodie loved them and would ask for "meat in a woll"!

Wallace said...

Was that Mom's "little granny" up on sand mountain?

thanks... that helps...

mae said...

I think little granny was Jenny Lynn. Grandad's grandmother, was also granny and he use to tell this story about walking his blind granny through the cow pasture, and saying "Step high Granny"! I think he was kind of prankster! HA! Thanks for taking us down memory lane! I know Nannie and Grandad left this world knowing how much they were loved! I know Nannie would have been so pleased that I named a daughter after her!!

Anonymous said...

I tried to google "John D. Anthony" but didn't find anything.

Anonymous said...

This is great!