Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mae's 100 Things

Okay so heres Mae's list. Come on Pete, Pris, Granny, and Sherry...lets see what you've got!! I know Jenny will do hers when she gets back for Disney World!!

1. I’ve been married for 27 years, but have known Mike since I was 15!
2. My three kids are the best things I’ve ever done with my life!
3. I have six cats, well seven if you count “Ralphy”, the one-eyed homeless cat, who shows up occasionally just to eat.
4. My cats mostly have people names. (I don’t like goofy pet names) They are Truman, Sylvia, Dee-Dee, Little Conway (okay this is goofy), L.B. (aka lard butt) and Sampson.
5. The best dog I ever owned was Miss Sammy! (I still look for her, on the floor by my bed).
6. Best birthday gift I ever received – a bird! I named him Pierre! I think I was 13!
7. Favorite cake – strawberry – thanks Mom/K
8. My sisters are my best friends, all five of them!
9. I don’t look like my twin brother, except we are exactly the same height 5 ft. 2 inches.
10. I’m often accused of coloring my hair to cover the gray – which I do not!! I have about ten grays and have earned every one of them, - thank you!
11. I love to walk, walk, walk, and walk, for exercise!
12. I don’t take any daily medications, unusual for someone 51!
13. I went through, three major life changes in 2007.
14. My father was in the Navy and I liked seeing him dress up in his white uniform.
15. I have an autographed picture of Hank Williams, Jr., framed and in my den. (Thanks Dad!)
16. I am named after an Island (okay, it was almost the 60’s)
17. Growing up, I detested my middle name!
18. I remember my mother reading to me as a child, Winnie the Pooh, “When we were six”.
19. I wish I could fix fried chicken like Mom/K – best I’ve ever had!
20. I want to buy a bike and be a bike rider again, before I die!
21. I want to visit Ireland!
22. I want to visit Hawaii again, (this time as an adult).
23. I once had my picture taken with a president, Jimmy Carter!
24. First Presidential election I voted in, I voted for Gerald Ford!
25. I attended college at 18 – was not successful.
26. Attended college again at 40 – was successful, pulled a 4.0 GPA!!!
27. Still desire to finish my degree before I die!
28. Loved being a gymnast! Still miss it!
29. I loved camping growing up, married someone who hated it! L
30. Favorite thing to do – spend time with my huge family.
31. Hate shopping – I know what I want, I go in, I get it, done!
32. Love to cook – as long as the recipe calls for 5 ingredients or less!
33. I love it, that my children were never embarrassed to be seen with their mother, as teenagers!
34. I don’t like to go barefoot, and NEVER do outside.
35. My laundry hamper is never full – I do laundry everyday, and have done so, for 27 years!
36. I miss my children being little!
37. I don’t like any “southern” vegetables, like squash, turnip greens, black-eyed peas, okra and I especially hate GREEN BEANS!!!
38. I love broccoli, artichokes and baked sweet potatoes!
39. I’m the only southerner I know, that doesn’t like “sweet tea”!
40. Moist poignant moment - privileged to have been with Nannie as she took her last breath.
41. All my children’s first and middle names are family names.
42. I love my job, but hate the commute!
43. I’m terrible at telling jokes.
44. My siblings and I, all took piano lessons, and I was the worst by far!
45. I was a girl scout all the way through high school.
46. I hated junior high school.
47. I absolutely loved high school!
48. I attended four different elementary schools during the 6th grade.
49. I felt safe sleeping at night, at 2806 Hester Lane.
50. I loved playing flag football with Dad/kids and neighborhood kids on Sunday afternoons.
51. I didn’t like playing volleyball – (I wonder why Dad???)
52. I love being outdoors!
53. I love a clean house.
54. Two chores, I hate to do, vacuum and unload the dishwasher.
55. I don’t like clutter and I throw away too much.
56. I’ve lived in Tennessee longer than I’ve lived anywhere, (22 years) but will NEVER be Vols fan. Roll Tide!
57. I was on dance team in high school, but was not coordinated, and had to practice longer than the all other girls!
58. I am not good at organizing photos!
59. I can’t carry a tune!
60. As a child, in the summertime, I remember eating homemade vanilla ice cream – thanks Dad!
61. I remember big Sunday dinners, after church – lots of work and we all complained, but now such a cherished memory. Sorry for the whining Mom/K
62. I love to laugh.
63. I’m great at playing practical jokes, especially on April 1st.
64. I have no artistic ability.
65. I can smock, but don’t have the patience for sewing.
66. My favorite movie, It’s a Wonderful Life! I watch it at least 10X a year, more at Christmas.
67. My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving.
68. As a teenager, I used to do back handsprings, back flips and aerial cartwheels for hours in my front yard, sorry for the scare Mom/K & Dad!
69. I love to hike in the mountains!
70. I LOVE being Aunt Mae!!!!
71. I absolutely adore my nieces and nephews!
72. My favorite color is pink.
73. My eyes are hazel, though it’s hard to tell if they are blue or gray.
74. I dread going to the dentist with a passion!
75. My hands, neck and face turn red during a hot flash!
76. My favorite food is lobster.
77. I don’t like cold weather at all!
78. I drive too fast, but have never had a speeding ticket.
79. I have never had an auto accident! Been in several, but never have been driving!
80. I am too impatient.
81. I’m very low-maintenance!
82. I’m not really affectionate, but I am a good nurturer.
83. I don’t really look like either one of my biological parents.
84. I use to like it when people said I looked like Dad (aka Uncle Wallace)! I never corrected them!
85. I try to end most phone calls, to family, with an “I love you”.
86. I don’t care for complaining. L
87. I usually am a positive thinker.
88. I’ve never met a “wine” I didn’t like!
89. Sherry and I use to play with Vickie, before Kaye and Dad married!
90. I remember the sound of Jenny laughing as a baby, and Jodie’s imitation of “I’m a crazy ole lady”!
91. I adore our big family get togethers at Christmas and Thanksgiving!
92. I pamper myself by getting regular pedicures.
93. I have my upper lip waxed! (I know TMI)!
94. People are often surprised at my feistiness!
95. I have a strong southern accent.
96. I like it that Nannie said I looked like the Masons; she used to call me Macey!
97. I’m generally a people person, but cherish time spent alone.
98. I don’t really want to drive Dad’s corvette, however he did let me drive the Renault, once, (had push button gears).
99. I remember hearing Granddaddy whistle, and I loved it that he called me Suzie Q.
100. I am also considering a tattoo….

19 comments:

Vickie said...

I still cannot believe that you do not go barefooted!!! So far none of us like cold weather...I know you want to get a big ole tattoo of the word MIKE in huge flaming letters ;-)

Vickie said...

LOW MAINTENANCE???

mae said...

I am low maintenance! I consider low maintenance as somone being completed self sufficient! And ooh yuck - barefoot outside??? No thank you!!!! I might catch something!

Anonymous said...

#84-
Ok vickie, she's trying to get the first drive in the corvette... she's just being a little more sneaky about it!
Jodie

Anonymous said...

#78- I seem to recall a story about flashing lights and being pulled over in the preschool pick up line......
hmmmmmm

Vickie said...

Preschool Line....Mae...you gots some splaining to do!!!

Anonymous said...

#9- thank goodness

Anonymous said...

#32- my kind of cook
#53- She even cleans her ceilings...no joke.... i've seen her
#70- you are the Best Aunt Mae
#13- explain more
#40- how lucky she was to have you there with her
Jo-D

Anonymous said...

Okay okay ...I forgot about the pre-school pickup line!! OOPS!mae

Anonymous said...

Life changes - 1: job change 2: turning 50! 3. major surgery!!! And to think I'm still standing!mae

Anonymous said...

hmmm... wonder what else she forgot about!

mae said...

Honestly, once I got started, I could have listed 200 things! Jo - this was so much fun, thanks for helping get us started! Now, whose turn is it next? Thanks Vickie and Jo for responding to my 100 things!

Wallace said...

Hey! Mae - I love this list! I was really moved by a lot of the things you said... I'm sure mom and dad will be too.

Wallace said...

39 - that is just wrong... do you know what I would give for a big ol' glass? mmmm

63 - any story there? what is your best one?

70 - isn't that 'crazy aunt mae'?

84 - awesome. that brought tears to my eyes.

99 - why Suzie Q?

100 - you just got a bit cooler in my book!

Anonymous said...

W - I pull a "tax related" joke on Mike every year on April fools! He falls for it everytime. This year I told him I had gotten a call from this client (who is kind of nutty),who was in the car and on his way over to Mike's office to see him. No apppointment, no notice, Mike was all flustered and panicky! I take advantage of the fact, that he so focused on tax season! Don't know where the Suzie Q came from but I loved it! And...I am crazy ole Aunt Mae!!!!! And the tatoo...we'll see.... mae

Anonymous said...

Mae, Dad and I loved reading your "100" list. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Love ya girl. MOM K

Anonymous said...

ok... so who will be next???

Anonymous said...

I'm getting a little worried.... If mom or dad say they are considering a tatoo......
Jodie

Anonymous said...

I think we can talk Dad into it!!!! Wouldn't that be a hoot??????